According to a2zcamerablog.com, Barrington, Rhode Island is a small town located in the southern part of the state. It is situated on Narragansett Bay and is known for its beautiful beaches, parks, and historical sites. The town was founded in 1653 and was originally part of Swansea, Massachusetts. In 1717 it became an independent township and was incorporated as a town in 1770.
Barrington is a charming seaside community with a population of just over 16,000 people. It has many small businesses which include restaurants, shops, art galleries and boutiques. The downtown area has been designated as a historic district and features many old homes and buildings from the 18th century. There are also several parks throughout the town including Colt State Park which features 464 acres of open space with bike paths, picnic areas and walking trails along the bay.
The Barrington River runs through the town providing excellent fishing opportunities for residents. The Barrington Yacht Club is located on the river offering sailing lessons and boat rentals to visitors as well as local residents. There are also several marinas located along the river that offer boat slips for rent during the summer months.
Barrington offers plenty of recreational activities for its residents including golf courses, tennis courts, hiking trails, swimming pools, fitness centers, playgrounds and more. The Barrington Public Library offers books and other resources to help educate locals about their history as well as current events around the world. The Barrington Historical Society also hosts lectures throughout the year to help preserve local history by highlighting stories from local families who have lived in Barrington for generations.
There are several churches throughout Barrington including St Mary’s Church which dates back to 1747 when it was built by early settlers in colonial times. Other churches include Christ Church which was built in 1856; St John’s Episcopal Church which dates back to 1831; First Congregational Church which dates back to 1819; St Luke’s Episcopal Church which dates back to 1823; Grace Episcopal Church which dates back to 1851; Trinity United Methodist Church which dates back to 1893; St Lawrence Catholic Church established in 1910; Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic church established in 1924; First Baptist Church established in 1926; Community Baptist Church established in 1954; Hope Chapel established in 1965; Central Baptist Church established in 1971; East Bay Christian Fellowship established in 1979; Barrington Bible Chapel established 1985 and more recent additions include Living Hope Family Worship Center established 1995 and New Hope Family Worship Center opened 2006
Barrington is a great place for families looking for an escape from busy city life without sacrificing access to modern amenities or entertainment options such as movies theaters or restaurants nearby towns like Providence or Newport RI offer plenty of cultural options such as museums galleries live music venues theaters shopping districts more In addition there are plenty of outdoor activities available such as kayaking paddle boarding sailing fishing biking hiking running swimming boating bird watching sailing whale watching surfing etc Whether you’re looking for relaxation or outdoor adventure you can find it all here.
History of Barrington, Rhode Island
Barrington is a town located in Bristol County, Rhode Island. It is situated on the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay, about 9 miles southeast of Providence. The town was established in 1717 and was named after the English village of Barrington in Somerset.
In 1653, the Plymouth Colony purchased Barrington from the Wampanoag Tribe for 20 coats and 10 blankets. The Wampanoag had lived in the area for centuries prior to this purchase. The first settlers arrived around 1655 and began to clear land for farming and fishing. By 1717, the population had grown enough that residents petitioned to form their own town and Barrington was officially incorporated that same year.
The early economy of Barrington was based mainly on agriculture, fishing, shipbuilding, lumbering and whaling. In 1790, a cotton mill was established in nearby Warren which provided employment opportunities for many Barrington residents. This helped spur the growth of small villages throughout the town such as Rumstick Village (1790), Nayatt Point (1810) and Primrose Hill (1812).
During the 19th century, Barrington became a popular summer resort destination due to its proximity to Providence and its scenic views of Narragansett Bay. This period saw an influx of wealthy families who built luxurious mansions along Ocean Avenue overlooking the bay. Many of these homes still stand today as examples of Victorian architecture from this era.
In 1854 two railroads were built through Barrington which further increased tourism to the area as well as providing easy access to other parts of Rhode Island for local residents. In 1872, St Andrew’s School was founded by Rev John Williams which later became St Andrew’s Academy in 1895 when it moved into a new building on Hope Street near Rumstick Village.
By 1900 Barrington had become one of Rhode Island’s most prosperous towns with its booming summer tourism industry and thriving agricultural economy based mainly on dairy farming and cranberry production. However this prosperity would be short-lived as many farms began closing during World War I due to rising labor costs and competition from larger farms elsewhere in New England.
After World War II, Barrington underwent another transformation with many former farms being sold off for residential development or converted into business parks such as Metacomet Industrial Park which opened in 1967 near Nayatt Point Village . During this time period, large tracts of land were also set aside for conservation purposes including Haines Memorial State Park (1953) , Colt State Park (1966) , Burlingame State Park (1977) , William C O’Neill Bike Path (1984) , Colt State Park Extension (1989) , Miller Memorial Wildlife Management Area (1989) . These parks provide recreational opportunities for locals as well as protecting important wildlife habitats around Narragansett Bay.
Today Barrington is known primarily for its charming seaside villages such as Rumstick Village , Nayatt Point Village , Primrose Hill Village, Sowamquetucket Village, Maple Root Beach Village, Potowomut Beach Village , Long Lane Beach Village. These villages are connected by bike paths along Ocean Avenue providing easy access to beaches and scenic views along Narragansett Bay. While much has changed since its founding over 300 years ago, visitors will still find reminders of Barrington’s past throughout this quaint New England town.