|January 1-2||New Year|
|January 7||Orthodox Christmas|
|8th of March||International Women’s Day|
|May 1st and 2||Labor Day and Spring Day|
|May 9||day of the victory|
|June 12||Declaration of State Sovereignty|
|November 7||Day of friendship and reconciliation|
|12th of December||Constitution Day|
Since the Orthodox Church of Russia still follows the Julian calendar, its festivals are 13 days behind those of the Catholic and Protestant churches.
The most important festival of the Russian Orthodox Church is Easter (April/May), but it is not a public holiday in the country.
Public holidays falling on a Saturday or Sunday will be made up for on the following working day without work.
In Kaliningrad there is a regional drama theater, a nationally known puppet theater, a music theater and the philharmonic orchestra.
Since 2003 the “International Baltic Debuts Film Festival” has taken place in Svetlogorsk every year in August.
Kaliningrad region: climate
The Kaliningrad region lies in the transition zone from the oceanic to the continental climate.
The weather is very changeable and the winters can sometimes be very cold.
The ideas of what is meant by a particularly favorable travel climate depend on a number of factors. Pure cultural travelers certainly see the climate differently than people who want to spend a pure beach holiday, for example. The state of health or age can also play an important role.
following months are particularly recommended for a stay in the Kaliningrad region for sun-seekers who like to enjoy a lot of sun and for whom higher temperatures do not cause any problems: July and August.
For people who prefer temperate climates,
people who prefer temperate climates and lower temperatures, a year-round stay in the Kaliningrad region can be recommended. It should be noted, however, that the weather from November to April can be rainy, cool and windy.
The following table shows some climate data for Kaliningrad. It should be noted that the climatic conditions in different regions of the country can differ from each other and therefore also from the values shown. In addition, the monthly average temperature values are only of limited informative value with regard to the current minimum or maximum temperatures. It is possible, for example, that maximum values of 30 °C or more can occur at average temperatures of around 20 °C. The table therefore only provides a general overview for a first orientation about the climatic conditions in the Kaliningrad region.
|Month||Medium numberon rainy days||MiddleMaximum temperatures
temperatures (in °C)
Kaliningrad region: currency, shopping and exchange rate
The national currency in the Russian Federation is the Russian ruble (Rbl, RUB as ISO code).
One ruble is equal to 100 kopecks.
Bank opening hours
The banks are open Monday to Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and
on Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Shop opening times
Department stores in the Russian Federation are usually open between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Grocery stores are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and also on Sundays and public holidays. As in many former communist countries, there is also the so-called late sale in Russia, mainly grocery stores that are open 24 hours.
Cheap or country-specific goods, souvenirs
Tourists like to buy amber and amber products in the Kaliningrad region.
Kaliningrad region: travel medicine and safety advice
The following infectious diseases can be expected in Kalinigrad Oblast:
- AIDS, HIV
- Amoebic dysentery
- Bacterial agitation
- B ilharziasis
- Lyme disease, as a result of tick bites
- Cholera, an infection risk only exists for travelers who can come into contact with contaminated water or contaminated food
- Intestinal infections from contaminated food or water, including amoeba, lamblia, salmonella, shigella and worm infestation, as well as all kinds of viruses and bacteria
- Early summer meningo encephalitis, mainly as a result of tick bites
- However, hepatitis A and B, infection with hepatitis B, is only to be expected in people who may come into contact with blood or those who seek sexual contact.
- Polio, polio
- Rabies, but only in people who can come into contact with infected animals
- TB (tuberculosis), there is a relatively high risk of infection
- Typhoid fever,an infection risk only exists for travelers who come into contact with polluted water or contaminated food
Vaccination recommendations, mandatory vaccination
When traveling to the Kaliningrad region, the same vaccinations are recommended as in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Cholera, but only among travelers who can come into contact with polluted water or contaminated food
- Diphtheria, a vaccination against diphtheria should always exist in your home country
- Hepatitis A and B, a vaccination against hepatitis B, is only required for people who may come into contact with blood or for those who seek sexual contact.
- Polio , polio, a vaccination against polio should always exist, also in the home country
- Meningococcal meningitis
- Tetanus, a vaccination against tetanus should always exist in the home country
- Typhoid, but only in travelers who may come into contact with polluted water or contaminated food
There are no vaccination regulations when entering or staying in the Kaliningrad region.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Tel.: (030) 5000-2000
The Federal Foreign Office advises you to take out health insurance abroad with repatriation insurance.